Mayo Clinic is a nonprofit medical practice and medical research group based in Minnesota. It employs more than 4,500 physicians and scientists and 58,400 administrative and allied health staff. The practice specializes in treating difficult cases through tertiary care. It spends over $660 million a year on research and employs over 3,000 full-time research personnel.
- Women in labor have reported positive results using scents such as rose, lavender and frankincense.
- Studies of hospital patients have documented that chamomile and lavender scents at bedtime can encourage relaxation and improve sleep.
- People with leukemia who used their choice of lavender, chamomile or peppermint got relief from nausea and lack of appetite in one study.
- Peppermint essential oils helped some pregnant women find relief from nausea and vomiting during labor.
- Lemon essential oil is suggested for headaches and mental fatigue, mandarin to help with restlessness, anxiety, nausea and sleep.
Although research is limited, small scale studies suggest that plant-based scents may just have a place in the science of health and healing. This is the reason essential oils are surging in popularity and Aromatherapy is even showing up in hospital surgical units.